Thursday, November 20, 2014

ONW Blood Drive Fall 2014



The Olathe Northwest Blood Drive attracts students to the flex theatre each semester. But this year numbers were down. My story began at registration with students entering the flex. At first I wanted to find students who had never done this before. Logan Green was it, he had never donated before  and he had a history of passing out when his blood was drawn. Once he began getting his blood drawn he started felling ill and had to lay down in order to get the blood to his head so he wouldn't pass out. But as that was happening nurses crowded around him and ordered me to back off and quit recording. So I did and had to start all over at registration.

I started scouting for interesting people who wanted to be on camera and who would talk me through the process. Audry Fisher was more then welcome to help me out. But once she was in the flex theatre she had her iron levels checked and she was a no go. I thought I was going to have to go back to the start again. But luckily her friend Maddie Schneider was with her the whole time so I just started up with her, which she already had the needle in her arm but I had to make it work. So from drawing blood to eating sweets I followed her through the process.

In the end, it all worked out with my story taking the angle of how difficult it can be when trying to donate. And with a few cheats in the package it all fell in place. They had too many restrictions on what you can and cannot film, like I'm there just to see people faint and blood being taken out of people.


No comments:

Post a Comment