Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Prop Box



Prop Box is a way for Dr. Poss and the Friends of Rachel Club (FOR) to reckognize students that help one another and Olathe Northwest a better place to be. Each month students are encouraged to nominate a fellow raven who did something out of their way to help another student. At the end of each month we get a list with the names of the nominees and what they did to be nominated.

Prop Box can be filmed in many different ways and has been done many different ways in the past. And because their is so much freedom on how it can be done it becomes challenging deciding how you want to approach it, but I went with the single shot interview cropped in different ways throughout it. This was the first time I have done prop box and although I didn't know what to expect, it was a nice break from a normal package because I've completed 6 packages in the past 7 weeks. But it was a good learning experience and moving forward I know what I would do differently next time.

I started with picking the most exciting story between all of the nominees. I would have liked to of done multiple interviews but i didn't want to get ahead of myself. So it came down to Andrew Kern who made a card to Ciara Webb's family from the school. I setup a simple interview in the Library and asked him to walk me through from start to finish what he did and then took that interview and minimized it to the right length and every few seconds added a new crop to give it the effect of the camera hoping around. It kept the interview going instead of him just telling what happened. 

Next Time...

Moving forward, I know what worked and what didn't. If I were to do Prop Box again I would try to do multiple interviews or maybe only one but add some B-Roll in it and a voice over to make it an actual package. That would make it more interesting and keep the attention of the viewer because they could actually see what the person did to be nominated instead of the nominee just saying words and possibly losing the viewer.

Prop Box is important to Dr. Poss and the FOR Club and should be done in a manner that is interesting and encourages students to do good things for one another and the school. If Prop Box can be done in a way that does encourage students to do good things then the message is successful and the video worked. As we move forward to future Prop Box I hope we can achieve this message and keep Prop Box interesting to the entire school.

Progress in the Works

I believe that we have come a long way since last year. We really have turned Prop Box around and made it something worth watching but it isn't where it could be. My hopes are that by next year Prop Box will become something that people look forward to and can't wait for to see their classmates on ONW Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment