Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Semester Final

Throughout this semester in Convergence Journalism I have learned a lot about what goes into making a solid news package. From story telling to sequencing, my packages have come along way in just a few months. With a total of 10 packages this semester, there was something to be learned from each one.

Story telling was one of the biggest things that I improved on this semester. No matter how boring a news topic is, you can make it interesting and something worth watching if you tell it in the right way. Starting with my first package about the new lunches I didn't want to just have the lunch ladies tell the audience about whats new and what is gone but rather tell the effects of it and get the students reactions. Taking an angle on a story is vital because otherwise you are going to just summarize something and it will put your audience to sleep. And with each and every story that I made I realized that it is important to stick to the angle and it is too easy to summarize something.



Sequencing separates the good packages from the great packages and is another huge component to keeping a package alive and moving forward. An Audience doesn't want to see a bunch of wide shots through a news story. They want it all. It may seem obvious but it is important to remember that the audience isn't there, so they are only going to see what you show them. The 6-shot system keeps the viewers hooked because it can really capture the moment and gives the viewers a good understanding of what is happening. The 6-shot system was pretty easy for me to catch on too and understand but sometimes while editing after filming ill think to myself, why didn't I sequence this or that. Which comes down to basic planning. I believe my best sequences are in the lunch package and the electrathon package.



Planning is essential to ensure a package is done on time and done how you want it. At first when I had a really good idea of what I wanted a finished project to look it would turn out to be something totally different. Once you have an idea stick to it and make it happen, don't settle for anything less than it. I learned to introduce my self and give the subject an idea of what was going to happen instead of me just showing up with a camera and start filming everything. If you establish a good relationship with your subjects before filming they will like you more and be more willing to help you do your job. If your planning is done correctly you can have story done easily within 2-4 days. My best example of this is the A&E to the moon and back package, it took me two days to film the whole thing by myself. Having done a previous package with the same teacher helped but still, I consider two days impressive.



With a lot already learned, there is still much to be discovered. I still haven't learned how to use the Tricaster and haven't even anchored. And I would also like to get to know my camera a little more. I know there is so much that I still don't know about it.

I have floor directed, monitored the teleprompter, and worked audio a dozen times but still have yet to use the Tricaster. I feel like that thing belongs at NASA and could launch a rocket into outer space if so desired. But really, I would like to at least know the basics and have a decent understanding of how it works.

I would also like to play around with my camera a little more and get to know it more and see what all else it can do. I still have issues with focusing and just recently learned how to set it up to ensure there is audio for each interview. Mastering the camera will allow me to film with confidence on every package.

No comments:

Post a Comment